Friday, December 18, 2015

Creed

December 18, 2015

Tonight I saw the movie "Creed".  In my opinion, it was definitely better than the last Rocky movie entitled Balboa, but it wasn't as incredible as some of the first installments (not that I think anything ever will be). That being said I still think it was a great movie. This generations introduction to the Rocky series. Everything from the music to be included on the soundtrack to street bikes and slang screamed new age. 

The storyline flowed very well.  It starts with a little bit of an untold back story. Then transitions to current day as young Creed tries to make a name for himself in the boxing world. Creed asks Balboa to train him, but the legendary Rocky Balboa is reluctant at first. Eventually Rocky gets on board. As expected with names like Balboa and Creed the youngster quickly finds himself with opportunities to fight the top competitors in his class. Would the kid live up to his old man's name? Would Rocky be able to breed another Champ? You'll have to be the judge when you see it.

Things that could have been better:

1.  The buildup to the final fight

-  The original Rocky films are known for their buildup to the main fight with their training montages, brilliant musical scores, and the main character's dramatic run through the fights location i.e. the streets of Philly, the Russian mountains, etc. In this movie they attempted to rebirth one of those moments, but it just failed to give me that feeling of invincibility that the older movies do.

2.  The rookie buildup

-  I think they could have done a better job of showing young Creed earning his place in the boxing world before teaming up with Rocky. I know it can be argued that the other movies didn't do that either however, I found it hard to believe Creed was a real boxer. It just didn't stick with me that he was a fighter. Maybe it was the acting (no shade intended towards the actor) or maybe the writers are to blame. I just think that showing more about how he started out boxing could have made his character more believable.

I'm giving this movie a 3 out of five stars. Have you seen it too? If so, tell me what you think and why. How would you rate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment